Trying to get my life back was going to be no different. I wanted to learn as much as I could and understand the best way to approach this journey. Historically I have bought just about every exercise machine or 'tool' they have ever sold, or at least my pocketbook felt like it. The Ab Scissors, Ab Lounger, a half of dozen treadmills that I would buy and resell 6 months later for a fraction of what I paid for them. (They were very expensive clothes hangers) Can you relate???
I tried Jenny Craig, I joined a gym or 2 or 3, I did Weight Watchers through my job and bought exercise videos. I tried every diet you can think of, living off of bananas or taking OTC diet pills, shakes, bars, etc.....I purchased some very expensive 'tools' designed to help you lose weight like the 6 Week Body Makeover and honestly, if someone told me I could lose weight drinking chocolate shakes I would have believed it and given it a shot.
For years I blamed all these 'tools' as to why they didn't work for me. I wanted so badly for the answer to lose weight to be as simple as the answer on how to gain weight. I knew that answer oh too well. I also was willing, for the first time, to acknoweldge that the reason none of these things worked for me was because of ME!! I was the common denominator. Each and every 'tool' - program, book, machine, etc can work if you are willing to commit to it and willing to do the work. This realization was HUGE for me.
And so, this time I still wanted a quick fix but was smart enough to know that there was no such thing. I did buy quite a few books, they are shown below:
The books I bought this time had a purpose. I wanted to
1.) Understand the role food played in my body - how does my body work?
2.) Compare several different popular diets/books to understand their differences as well as their consistencies 3.) Find ideas for healthy meals
4.) Use all of this information to make decisions based on knowledge rather than blindly following a program or plan.
The books shown include:
Magazines like Fitness and EveryDay by Rachael Ray
Not Shown: The Dukan Diet
These are the books/programs I selected to read and learn about but there are many many more out there. I am not saying these are the only books that are 'good' but they are the ones I used to arm myself with the knowledge I would soon be using to start my journey of Finding Myself.....1 Drop of Sweat at a Time.
Are you still with me? Stay with me, we are just getting started..................
No comments:
Post a Comment