I ate a giant cheeseburger from Kopp's today - for those of you familiar with Kopps' you know these burgers are about the size of your head and probably over 1000 calories.
Yup, that is what I had for lunch today. A year ago I would have worried that this slip up meant I was off the wagon and I would feel so terrible I would sulk for hours.
Not today - today I am smart enough to realize it was one meal and it is ok to eat crap once in awhile. The key here is ONCE IN A WHILE.
Of course there are a millions reasons why you should not eat a cheeseburger from Kopp's - portion size, fat content, cholesterol concerns, the spike in insulin from the large head size bun - I know this. I knew it when I ordered it.
Then why did I order it you ask? Because my weight loss journey includes giving myself permission to occasionally eat something I would consider a treat even if it isn't the best thing for me. I realized early on that deprivation is not a good way to live your life and if you deprive yourself long enough you will eventually give in and you will pig out and then you will really be sorry.
Sure, the optimum would be to ween yourself off of having cravings for such foods but I am not there yet. The next best thing would be to share the cheeseburger or to remove the bun, or remove the cheese or better yet, choose a salad or a grilled chicken sandwich without the bun instead. Again, I am not there yet.
I do occasionally order a chicken sandwich or salad instead of a giant cheeseburger. Matter of fact, more times than not I now order a healthier choice when eating out, just not ALWAYS.
I give myself permission to enjoy an occasional ice cream or candy bar or pasta with a heavy cream sauce but it's the exception and not the norm whereas it used to be the norm.
I hope to someday crave salads the way I crave macaroni and cheese but if that day never comes I know that I control what I put in my mouth, it does not control me. Moderation is key and getting back on the wagon and maybe even forcing myself to exercise a little longer/harder will help me stay on track.
The chemical reaction that happens inside our brain when we eat foods we love is real. It calms us and makes us happy, it releases endorphins and that is why we keep craving them. That is why we call them comfort foods. Problem is when the temporary 'high' goes away - we are then left feeling like a failure. You have to give yourself permission to eat these things as long as you get back on the wagon and don't fall off too often.
Try to ask yourself why you ate it, what purpose did it serve and always be aware of your relationship with food and focus on making it a positive relationship.
Damn, I thought eating a cheeseburger would be a funny topic for a blog but it sure did get serious in a hurry. I will try better next time to make you laugh. I guess it goes to show you eating a cheeseburger is no laughing matter when you still have 75 lbs to lose!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment