I started this journey in January 2011 by first arming myslef with some information and gaining a better understanding of food and my body.
As recommended in Jillian Michael's, "Mastering Your Metabolism" book I went to my Dr. and explained to him that I wanted to start focusing on weight loss and exercise. All diet programs tell you to seek the advice of your doctor before beginning any weight loss regimen but this was the first time ever I actually did it.
I had blood work done to check my cholesterol levels, blood sugar and Thyroid function - I wanted to first make sure my body was functioning properly so that my efforts would not be for nothing (If your hormones are out of balance or your thyroid isn't functioning it WILL affect your ability to lose weight) and I wanted a starting point so I can go back and have the same tests done to make sure I am maintaining healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels. And to be perfectly honest I was secretly hoping my thyroid test would come back abnormal so I had something other than myself to blame for being Fat.
We are friends, right? I can say that out loud here, right?
So the first 3 months I did not do any exercise. It was all about facing the food and re-aquainting myself with food and changing my belief system and my relationship with food.
I lost 20 lbs!
I wouldn't say I was an over eater - although some might argue with me - but I do admit I did not eat right. I did not gorge myself with food but I loved macaroni and cheese, pizza, candy bars, bread, sweets like donuts and pies. I may have only eaten one meal a day but what I was putting in my mouth was nothing but empty calories.
I was starting to realize food is fuel and sugar and fats are not fuel - it is like putting sludge in an engine and then asking it to perform at a high level.
And for me the more carbs and sugars I ate, the more I craved them........I had to admit I was an addict. I was addicted to carbs and sugar.
No comments:
Post a Comment