Just before I set out to be serious about losing weight this time (January 2011) my step daughter, Jamie, got engaged and announced she wanted a destination wedding. The date, February 25th, 2012.
Yep, it's right around the corner. It's less than 30 days away and although I had hoped I would lose more than I have before her big day - I did use her wedding as my motivation everyday I felt like giving up. For the past year I thought about the dress I would be wearing - I haven't worn a dress since 1999!!! and the swimsuit and didn't want to dread dressing up and I certainly didn't want to forever be displayed in her wedding photos as a big cow.
I am a size 16W now, still bigger than I had hoped I'd be but considering where I started I can hold my head up high and know I have worked hard the past 55 weeks trying to lose the weight the right way. 50 lbs is nothing to shake a stick at when you realize how much work it takes to lose that amount of weight.
You have to find your motivation. Anything you feel strongly about that will help you get off the couch or say "No" to that bag of Doritos will work. Everybody's motivation is different.
Sure I want to be healthy and skinny and all of that but for me wanting it was not enough (at first) because my mind also wanted to eat foods that contradicted that. I certainly never told myself I wanted to be fat but I was having an internal battle that told me one bite wouldn't matter or I could always start tomorrow and historically I always gave in because apparently wanting to be healthy wasn't, for whatever reason, a priority for me if it meant I had to give up certain foods or work out an hour a day and break a sweat. I was lazy and I was in denial.
I drew strength from knowing the wedding was around the corner but something inside me changed this time that now makes wanting to look good and feel good and be the healthiest I can be, a priority.
When the wedding is over and we are back home I still have a long ways to go so that cannot be my only source of motivation. It was a good kick start but I have a very long life to live yet, God willing, and I deserve to be able to enjoy it.
I know that this is not a temporary thing, it is not a diet, it is a lifestyle.
No comments:
Post a Comment